September 29, 2017 – After having lots of fun at the VW Bug Ranch and the Cadillac Ranch in Texas we went to THE BIG TEXAN, home of the famous Free 72 oz Steak if you can eat it all.
This is basically a very touristy Big Texan place, but lots of fun and the food was really good.
We went early evening so the place wasn’t filled up with people until we were almost through. All the steaks are cooked in the open. We were sitting right next to it so we got to smell and see all the steaks being cooked. They are served on the BIG TEXAN plates shown below.
We got the 30 oz steak for two with fried okra and the best tasting loaded baked potatoes I’ve ever had at a restaurant. We both got those sides and also enjoyed sweet peach tea. Oh my!
After dinner we walked around to see the rest of the place. A hallway near the back had several photos on the wall. When you stood in front of one it looked like a normal person. When you moved a few inches to the side the person turned into a skeleton!
There was a very large gift shop which was mostly all Texan gifts.
There are rules for taking “The 72oz Steak Challenge.” Here they are:
Meal consists of: Shrimp Cocktail, Baked Potato, Salad, with Roll, Butter, and of course the 72 oz. Steak
This is the table you sit at for the challenge. It is on a raised platform so everyone can see you. There are time clocks along the wall next to it so the person taking the challenge knows how much time they have left.
- Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!
- Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”
- Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.
- You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.
- You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.
- Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)
- You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.
- You must sit at a table that we assign.
- If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.
- No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.
- If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.