08.26.14 Here’s what happens when you put the cart before the horse! Huh????

The broker’s open house for our sticks and bricks house just wrapped up.  In total 14 agents came through so hopefully that will pick up interest in the house.  They all loved it, especially our huge garage workshop.  The right person has yet to tour it but I know they will soon!  IMG_20140826_143616_155

It’s been a whirlwind the last few days, making it difficult to focus on things I’d like to write about.  A huge mistake was made by me when I decided to check out options for what we will buy when this house sells.  We’ve toyed with just finding a lot to park our RV on when we are in town, or buying vacant land to either put a mobile home, modular home or build something to rent out, or buying something already in place to rent out.  All of the above have to have enough land for us to park our RV on when we are in town.

Our agent, Jamie, took me all over the place last week looking at vacant land.  Since mobile and modular homes are the quickest to plant on a lot that was my first option.  The land I liked best won’t allow mobile or modular homes.

Remember the saying “Don’t put the cart before the horse”?  Well I must have not have listened when they were teaching this one.   Maybe if they had said “Don’t look for a house with money you don’t have!” I’d have caught on before now.

Roy is less inclined to want a mobile or modular home but wanted a small permanent house so I started looking at land with a house.  Right away I found the perfect one, took a ride out to Tickfaw to check it out and was so excited.  Sure it needed an outside air conditioning unit, was in desperate need of a pressure washing and yes I did fall through the rear porch floor twice but other than that it was perfect.  Those little details were not the problem.  We’ve gotten use to looking past all that when looking for a house due to our two years spent flipping houses. The price was ridiculously low and we could do everything it needed. Even with the things we’d need to buy it would fall easily in the amount of profit we hope to have from the house selling.  I thought we’d make an offer predicated on us selling the house.  After calling our agent to ask her to make an appointment for us to go inside I just knew we were on our way.

48176 Robertson Rd, Tickfaw, LA 70466

Turns out it is a HUD repossessed house, so there went our idea of making an offer contingent on us selling our house.  They don’t do it that way. They accept only bids made through an authorized agent, accompanied by a letter of pre-qualification from a lender (or proof that you have enough cash to cover the sale) and several other documents.  At the time we learned this it was after banks closed on Saturday and the bidding deadline was Sunday night midnight.  The fact that we also learned it didn’t have any appliances and was missing some light fixtures wasn’t really a problem because we could just adjust our offer/bid by an appropriate amount to cover that. Of course we couldn’t meet the deadline without a letter from our bank and the bank wasn’t even open.

However, we held out some hope that the bank that was in possession of the house wouldn’t accept any of the bids that were submitted because they were too low or whatever reason. It’s an odd process when the bank is involved, not straightforward like dealing with a home owner and an agent. Roy went to see the house and fell in love with it just like I did, it was perfect and had everything we wanted.  His excitement added to mine and we were hanging on to hope of the bids not being accepted.  If this was God’s will for us, it would all work out for our good.

Several things happened on Monday that gave us some hope that the deadline had been extended.  If we could get all our stuff together quickly we could still be in the mix.  We could not get it together soon enough and then found out near the end of the day that the bank was negotiating with one of the original bidders.  If they work it out with them or one of the other bidders then the house is off the market.

This turned into a very draining experience and we’ve made the decision to stop looking until we have money in hand.  I thought it was wise to look and get a good idea of what is out there.  That probably would have been okay had we not run into the perfect one only to find out we couldn’t get it.

So we’ll sit put in our sticks and bricks side yard waiting for it to sell.

I don’t want it to take us too long once the house sells before we can start our journey out west.  But I learned through this not to jump two steps ahead of having completed the first step.  You get tripped up and boy did we!  God knows what’s best for us and this just wasn’t it.


Ya’ll come back now ya’ hear!

09.24.13 Contract on our rental house!!! Our last Tuesday here! 6 days left till departure

Yesterday us girls closed up the biggest cabin, Fireside.  It took almost six hours but we were all happy to check that one off the list!  The last guests there left a huge Stuffer’s lasagna, garlic/cheese toast and lettuce/spinach in a bag.  A full meal for eight people! I cooked them in our RV this morning for everyone to enjoy at lunch today.  I love it when guests bring too much and don’t feel like hauling it home!

The fireside moose I groomed when e opened the cabin in May!
The fireside elk I groomed when we opened the cabin in may!
This is a tree with hue pinkish red berries outside of Fireside. Anyone know what it is and if it is edible?
If you ever feel like this, come to Northern Lights Resort. We are out in the middle of the wilderness, have great cabins and all have wifi!

Today is my day off and the other three girls closed down Bear and Northern this morning.  Now there are only two more left to close, Yellowstone and Muskie, and those cabins are occupied until Saturday.  Woodside has just been rented for a few days after we leave so we will be cleaning it Saturday instead of closing I.  The owners will close that one down themselves.

Now for the best news of all, we have a contract on our rental house for full price and it’s a cash sale and the buyer is paying all her closing costs.  This is such a huge blessing from God.  Our fabulous Queen of Real Estate, Jamie Johnson with Keller Williams didn’t even have it listed when she showed it to our buyer!  Roy and I are so happy and really believe that if we had originally listed our home on Wardline Road with her we would have sold it long ago instead of renting it.  We do know not to count our chickens before they hatch or in real estate terms don’t count on the sale until the money is in our bank account.  However, a cash sale for full price is worthy of sharing with everyone.  She wants the closing to be on or before October 15th so that chapter in our lives will be over with!   I’ve said before how much we appreciate the work our family and friends did to get this house ready to sell.  We could not have done it from 1500 miles away with our you special folks!

brenda drive back deck
The back decking at Brenda Drive which has been re-stained since this picture.

We’re spending today pulling up and cleaning the big black and white mat our rockers sit on outside, removing and cleaning the tire covers for storage, filing all the tires with air, getting my plants in pots, cleaned up and ready to travel.  Roy has actually done most of this while I pulled up my garden decorations d lights and got them cleaned for travel and ready for our next stop! Both of our bicycles are mounted behind Dora. We’ve had additional freezer space available to us while we were here but will be back to just our RV freezer so a good clean out and organization of what’s going with us in the freezer was done today.  I plan tomorrow to go through all our clothes and get the closet in travel order.  Things move around in a moving house and a travel closet is quite different from a sitting still for 5 months closet!

We’re grilling tonight for the last time here and the grill will be put in its storage space for travel. We’ve invited everyone over this evening for probably the last campfire to use the last of our wood up.  I have loved having discovered the giant marshmallows for our campfires.

There are several food events planned for this last week. Pat and Tom, the owners, have invited us al to dinner Thursday, Beth is making a baked egg casserole for Saturday breakfast and the work campers are hosting a chili dinner in honor of our managers Rick and Debbie for being such great leaders. Lots of good times this week to wrap up our stay here in Northern Minnesota.  Things were exciting and new to us when we arrived up here at Northern Lights Resort.  It’s getting exciting again as we go through all these last things and prepare to experience others parts of our country in our travels.

Ya’ll come back now, ya’ hear!